Equals IW returned from lockdown on Sunday 4th July 2021 with a small group of friends coming together for the first time since last year. The group took part in a Sponsored Walk and Picnic raising money to help run activities for the two Friendship Groups of Equals IW.
We successfully walked the 5 mile circular walk, taking around 11,000 steps and burning 522 Kcal.
The sights and sounds of the Island's outstanding natural countryside were quite relaxing. We took the opportunity to chat and laugh while we enjoyed the benefit of walking outdoors. Some of the Friendship Group friends had a go at using the Seek iNaturalist app to identify plants and flowers along the way.
The route explores the Eastern Yar Valley with a variety of habitats including floodplain meadow, grazed pasture, marshland, fen, river and woodland:
- Starting from School Lane car park in Newchurch
- Through Martins Wood then to
- Newchurch Moors Nature Reserve in the Eastern Yar valley
- Following the River Yar along the dismantled railway line to Alverstone village
- Through Alverstone Mead Nature Reserve
- Returning to School Lane car park