The Isle of Wight Mardi Gras is a wonderful themed parade and was held this year on Saturday 30th June 2018.
This year the theme was Global Biospheres in support of the Island's bid to become a designated UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
Equals IW was represented through the work of the Equals IW Women’s Friendship Group with their entry themed around Komodo Island, Indonesia.
The very colourful parade brought joy to those watching in the streets of Ryde as the town basked in summer sunshine.
The event was a collaboration between Island-based event organisers, the New Carnival Company and the IW Area of Outstanding Beauty Unit.
We are preparing a gallery of pictures that will appear here later this month (September).
The next committee meeting will be on Tuesday 25th September 2018. 6pm to 8pm.
The venue to be announced shortly will be in Newport.
Would You Like A New Exciting Challenge for 2018 then come and join the Equals IW Committee.
We are looking for people to volunteer and develop the work of Equal’s IW:
- Secretary – work includes typing committee minutes, organising committee meetings, taking meeting minutes, organising meeting venues, replying to Website and Facebook enquires, sending official correspondence on behalf of Equals IW.
- Press Secretary – work includes promoting Equals IW's local meetings, activities and events in the local press, local magazine publications, online and on the local radio. Also prepare and issue statements about relevant affairs on behalf of Equals IW.
- Grants and Funding Co-ordinators – to work in a team to seek out and propose funding sources and make funding applications.
- Education and Training Co-ordinators – to work in a team to promote equality and diversity in the community and the work of Equals IW. Deliver awareness training of equality and diversity, facilitate and deliver talks and presentations on equality and diversity in the community. Delivery of formal and informal programmes involving equality and diversity activities to schools, colleges, community groups, adult learners and staff associated with businesses.
- Fundraising Co-ordinators – work in a team to plan, organise, facilitate and run fund raising activities and events for Equals IW.
- Equals Development Co-ordinators – work in a team to develop new opportunities for Equals IW, develop partnership working opportunities, identify, suggest and co-ordinate events for Equals IW to be involved in.
You can learn more about Equals IW on Facebook or
download and display our flyer.
As part of the aim to support equality and diversity on the Isle of Wight, Equals offers friendship groups for women and men of ethnic backgrounds.
For a real cultural diversity experience have a look at the current programme of events then come and join our women's group.
The group provides a welcoming place to women of both minority and majority ethnic background. Come and make new friends, get advice and find support. You can take part in fun activities and maybe participate in some training. The ladies of the groups have taken part in
- Carnivals and arts parade
- The Kite Festival
- Cultural and Diversity Events
- Art and Craft fun Activities
- Information Technology Training
- Food Hygiene Training
- Cooking Courses at the Isle of Wight College
- Culture Kitchen
- Back to Work Training
- Private Swimming Sessions
Our men's group is currently starting up with meetings in Newport.
So why not pop along to one of our groups and see what we are up to, we would love to meet you.
To find out more please contact Equals.