Main Points of General Interest
Equals IW has made progress on several organisational fronts
- Operational procedures around privacy
- Links to other Isle of Wight organisations
- Fund raising
- Trustees and the Charity Commission
- Equals IW Membership
The Women's Friendship Group membership has been falling so the group are considering a marketing drive after the summer. The issue was raised that having Mardis Gras workshops in a venue restricted to Women, while cost effective, prevents male participation. Also the timing of workshops during the day prevents those in paid work from joining in.
The Men's Friendship Group has been dormant due to work commitments. The committee discussed whether focusing future meetings on a specific activity would increase interest.
Activities are currently being planned for
- Mardis Gras Parade. Kimmy the dragon's framework has been created during a series of Women's Friendship Group meeting. Work continues on Kimmy and the costumes for the parade.
- Asian Day. A gazebo has been promised for Equals IW promotion.
This is a very brief abstract from the minutes of the meeting.
The programmed activities are now complete but work continues so for the latest details please see our Facebook page.
Would You Like A New Exciting Challenge for 2018 then come and join the Equals IW Committee.
We are looking for people to volunteer and develop the work of Equal’s IW:
- Secretary – work includes typing committee minutes, organising committee meetings, taking meeting minutes, organising meeting venues, replying to Website and Facebook enquires, sending official correspondence on behalf of Equals IW.
- Press Secretary – work includes promoting Equals IW's local meetings, activities and events in the local press, local magazine publications, online and on the local radio. Also prepare and issue statements about relevant affairs on behalf of Equals IW.
- Grants and Funding Co-ordinators – to work in a team to seek out and propose funding sources and make funding applications.
- Education and Training Co-ordinators – to work in a team to promote equality and diversity in the community and the work of Equals IW. Deliver awareness training of equality and diversity, facilitate and deliver talks and presentations on equality and diversity in the community. Delivery of formal and informal programmes involving equality and diversity activities to schools, colleges, community groups, adult learners and staff associated with businesses.
- Fundraising Co-ordinators – work in a team to plan, organise, facilitate and run fund raising activities and events for Equals IW.
- Equals Development Co-ordinators – work in a team to develop new opportunities for Equals IW, develop partnership working opportunities, identify, suggest and co-ordinate events for Equals IW to be involved in.
You can learn more about Equals IW on Facebook or
download and display our flyer.
As part of the aim to support equality and diversity on the Isle of Wight, Equals offers friendship groups for women and men of ethnic backgrounds.
For a real cultural diversity experience have a look at the current programme of events then come and join our women's group.
The group provides a welcoming place to women of both minority and majority ethnic background. Come and make new friends, get advice and find support. You can take part in fun activities and maybe participate in some training. The ladies of the groups have taken part in
- Carnivals and arts parade
- The Kite Festival
- Cultural and Diversity Events
- Art and Craft fun Activities
- Information Technology Training
- Food Hygiene Training
- Cooking Courses at the Isle of Wight College
- Culture Kitchen
- Back to Work Training
- Private Swimming Sessions
Our men's group is currently starting up with meetings in Newport.
So why not pop along to one of our groups and see what we are up to, we would love to meet you.
To find out more please contact Equals.